<< Back to all Blogs
Login or Create your own free blog
Home > 2 offers are coming

2 offers are coming

June 21st, 2016 at 09:56 pm

OMG this is it. Two job offers are coming in. I am crossing my fingers that they are good. I think so. At least DH is happy with the potential employers. This is a huge deal. Before the 1 year mark the bet we paid is looking to payout. An income again. Potentially moving locally.

Looking over the benefits we are losing some of the 401k match before it was 3% matched at 200% = 6% of salary. Now it's 50% match of 7% so 3.5% of salary and about the same price for slightly worse medical benefits to be expected because we had premium medical care before. Also slightly less vacation 21 days a year versus the 26 days year DH got.

Do you think it's worth moving for a shorter commute into another neighborhood and paying $1000 more a month for a slightly larger house? And testing out another area? Or should we try to buy? Or just be content renting?

My phone died on Sunday so I've been using the free Nokia phones we got last year when we switched to T Mobile. Going to look into replacement by warranty.

9 Responses to “2 offers are coming”

  1. AnotherReader Says:

    This is not a job change, it's a career change, and there is risk to that. In your shoes, I would not consider moving until DH had been in the job at least 6 months, maybe a year. What if you move to a more expensive place and DH changes jobs? No way would I buy a house until the income is stable for a couple of years. Rebuild your savings and be patient.

  2. Carol Says:

    Best wishes on these job offers! I think Another Reader is right-- stay put until he is in whichever new job for a while and is sure the job is "as advertised".

  3. creditcardfree Says:

    I would not pay another $1000 for a shorter commute. I might pay $500, but it would have to be significantly shorter. I think another year of renting is good idea.

  4. ceejay74 Says:

    Congrats! I believed it would pay off for you.

  5. CB in the City Says:

    This is very good news! I agree with the others, hold tight till you know more, then buy when you feel settled and know exactly where you want to be.

  6. LivingAlmostLarge Says:

    We are thinking of moving into another rental closer to where he works. All jobs are in this area so the shorter commute is a longer term investment.

    I'm not sure we'll be buying anytime soon. This even could turn into a 2 year rental. We haven't decided how the market will play out.

    We can manage the new rental income and was within the range we were willing to pay before but decided against for cash flow. Now I think even without a job we'd stick it out as a potential place we'd buy.

    A lot depends on the salary I guess we'll see and depends on what it pays. He doesn't want an 1 hour commute and we've always been short commute people with smaller houses and we would be doing that again.

  7. AnotherReader Says:

    You are putting the cart before the horse. The area you want may or may nor be where DH works. All kinds of things could happen. What if he gets no job offers in the area and to get a job he has to move to the Bay Area or another high tech mecca? What if he is laid off in less than a year because the tech economy goes south? In your shoes, I would make the most fiscally conservative choice until you are sure DH has a stable job that will last.

  8. rob62521 Says:

    Congrats on the new prospects.

    As for paying more and moving, I think I'd wait until you see how things are going and if everything works out. Plus, the neighborhood may not be what you think it is.

  9. LivingAlmostLarge Says:

    No we have two offers coming in and he wants both. Either he'd be happy with. If he were to get laid off that's why we were thinking of renting. We still have another $200k in cash reserves right now not counting our home equity cashed out last year for a home purchase. We also have not yet tapped some of our taxable investments either, everything we had in cash if what we planned on not working for 3 years without a job. Of course a part-time job or consulting would minimize our draw down. This move and lack of income was planned for a long time with a lot of saving.

    So cashflow purposes we are not at all on a shoestring. This past year we've lived on the same budget we lived on previously. Nothing changed except our utilities was less and our rent/mortgage was less than what we used to pay. We aren't spendy and I have a firm grasp of our spending habits. The rent is probably close to what we would want to pay in a mortgage. We burned close to $72k this year and $90k in all with the tuition. We are still very solvent and if DH worked even 6 months at a rate of $125k (cross your fingers it's higher) then I would guess we'd still be able to stash 1k/month and not burn any excess fund. I also admit to spending excessive amounts of money and if I really had to I could spend less.

    Rob, that's why I'm nervous about staying put and buying in a new neighborhood without testing it out. I wonder if it what I think it is.

    Also if he is laid off we've agreed to move back into his field into management/business side. He's got some flexibility and our ability to live on less is key and supplement with our savings. We'd also rent because we could break the lease and move if we needed too.

Leave a Reply

(Note: If you were logged in, we could automatically fill in these fields for you.)
Will not be published.

* Please spell out the number 4.  [ Why? ]

vB Code: You can use these tags: [b] [i] [u] [url] [email]